Skip to main content

Home Comings and Goings - Onicia Update - July 2019

Onicia Update July 2019

What it do Scooby Doo?!

I visited St. Maarten for the first time in five years. The roommates and I had a wonderful time at the Azure hotel. I really missed St. Maarten. I don't know when I'll return, but I hope to have another extended stay soon. BTW, shout out to my homie Ronald for fixing my rental situation.

Big news: I sold some greeting cards to American Greetings. See details below.

When we last spoke, I asked what I should focus on next. More than half of you who responded would like Maya Wagner and me to post scenes from Counting on Kendra

I was also told to do whatever inspires me. I'll try my best to have something to show you before the end of September.

That's all I gotta say today. Got something I should see or someone I should collaborate with? Email me or shout at me on Twitter.

What I've been doing instead of writing*

  • Trying to write a review for Mia McCullough's web series The Haven. You should watch it.
  • Trying to write a review for Winnifred Jong's web series Tokens On Call.
  • Ran a 5K for the first time in 4 years -- without training -- and didn't die. Shout out to erica from the Skewer for being my running buddy.
  • Enjoyed a 15-day beach vacation. We visited St. Maarten, Statia, and Anguilla.
  • Drove a car for the first time in 5 years and didn't crash.
  • Rode a bike for the first time in 6 years and didn't crash.
  • Getting rejected from submission opportunities. Rejection hurts but you learn to bounce back faster the more you put yourself out there. It still hurts, though.
  • Doing hoodrat things with the mischievious Kristina Wong (Radical Charm School, How to Pick Up Asian Chicks)
  • Hiked Peak Paradis (St. Maarten's tallest hill) and didn't die.
  • Explored my family's history by visiting the Berkel Family Museum.
  • Flexed my comedic storytelling muscle at the kates.
  • Listening to podcasts (The Read, AARP's The Perfect Scam, American Scandal, Shaped)
  • Watching educational videos (Two Cents, Say It Loud, Coffee Break, Company Man)
  • Reading/Self-development (Boundaries by Henry Cloud, My Journal Guide by Iris Kirkland)
  • Learning about my body with Maya Moon Cycle
  • Watching Pose, Orange is the New Black, and The Wire.
*I'm always writing it's just that lately most of my work is for companies and doesn't fit well with the comedic storyteller thing I got going over here. Holla at me if my select set of skills fit your need.


What I'm Working On

This year, I've been really focused on creating work with a longer shelf life. Here's a quick update on all my pending stuff.

American Greetings
Back in May, American Greetings posted an open call for funny greeting cards. I shot my shot, and they liked what I had to say. I'll let you know how you can buy my funny cards when they're out.

Pre-Existing web series (Hidden In Plain Sight Productions)
David and the producing team is almost done editing the 17 episodes. Yes, S E V E N T E E N episodes. My episode with Lissette has gone through about 3 cuts. I can confirm that it gets better with each revision. Greg Callozzo, Sandy Lee, and Sonal Aggarwal are hilarious!

Just Being Funny (The Daily Herald)
No new JBF yet because Darlene (my wonderful editor) and I have been working overtime on a special series for the paper. Anyways, I've started selecting new JBF stories, and I'm scheduled to get the writing in September.


Do you make cool things? I might feature you in my next newsletterLet's collaborate!

Want to join my club of consensual stalkers? Subscribe!
Created on St. Maarten. Based in Chicago. Onicia Muller (@OniciaMuller) writes, says funny things, and enjoys hanging with creative minds. 
Support the arts by buying me ice cream or telling your Twitter homies.

Popular posts from this blog

'The Haven' using Web Series to Launch Chicago TV Pilot - Women in Film

The Haven written by Mia McCullough features Sage Lorinne Miskel as Tasha (daughter) and Alex Dauphin as Crystal (mother) What do you do when you have an original TV pilot that explores a world and characters different from traditional Hollywood scripts? You do like Mia McCullough and Elizabeth Laidlaw and create a web series! THE HAVEN  is a web series covering an extensive period in the lives of the clients and staff of a domestic violence center. The staff forms the main cast. The clients are secondary characters.  Web series is a great storytelling tool for exploring characters and worlds. Compared to a TV show, these short format made-for-the-web productions often require fewer resources to produce. These scripts, which are usually under 30 minutes/pages, allow screenwriters to tell stories by and about underrepresented communities. Best of all, the finished content is immediately available to that community — #RepresentationMatters.  Mia and co-producer Elizabet

Flirty thumb wrestling - Just Being Funny

On our fourth date, Roberto gifted me his Christian dating book. Apparently, there are five dating levels. He was ready for us to enter the second level. Each level came with instructions for physical boundaries.  Level 3 was where things would – nay, could – get exciting. Then we could have “face-to-face” contact. I was almost certain that meant kissing, but from the way things were going, this could very well just be us rubbing our cheeks together. Maybe he was into more alternative forms of intimacy and wanted to experiment with rubbing our foreheads together. Ey, every lock has a key! No judgment. At level 2, we had limited hand holding and flirty thumb fights. I was only allowed to touch exposed body parts. If he wore a cap sleeve t-shirt, I could only touch him all the way up to the hem of that sleeve. If he wore a long sleeve button down, I could only touch up to his wrist. His body is a wonderland with restrictive visiting hours. But I'm not here to bash lifestyle cho

How to Afford Hired Help When You’re Still A Struggling Artist? - Hey Onicia

In an interview with 2 and A Bottle , they asked how I afforded to hire an assistant for creative ventures. I am pro paying people for their work because artists die from exposure; ‘likes’ and retweets do not pay the bills. Here’s how I’m able to pay people even though I’m still in that struggling artist phase. Hey Onicia is a series where I tap into my type-A side and answer questions from my friends about this starving artist life. If you find this helpful, share with your twitter homies or thank me with ice cream . Want to chat or collaborate? Holla at me ! First off, major side eye to people who blow mad cash on taxi rides, Beyonce concerts, and fast fashion while begging for free labor. Seriously, offering me five bucks so I can buy a pint of ice cream for things I do to pay the bills is less insulting than demanding it for free. Save up and pay full rate I wish everyone could get their asking price. If you can afford it, pay it. You can’t bui