Skip to main content

I am Woman, Hear Me Yawn! - Onicia Updates - March 2018

Lead Image 2018

Welcome to March! It's Women's History Month. If you've been following me on le social media, you know that I pretty much spend my twitter days hyping up women in entertainment. My wish for March is to find a moment to nap and attend Heaux Magazine's 1-year anniversary party!

That's all I gotta say today. Got something I should see or someone I should collaborate with? Email me or shout at me on Twitter.

Upcoming Events

Feminist Happy Hour (Beauty Bar)
Stand-up comedy
March 14, 2018

This One Woman (Hopleaf Bar)
Storytelling
March 26, 2018

A Lill Annoyance Stand-Up Show (The Annoyance)
Stand-up Comedy
March 31, 2018

Published Writings

JBF: No New Friends (The Daily Herald)
As with many of my quirks, past trauma formed my pet policy. Some people have daddy issues. Well, I developed doggy issues. My dog abandoned me when I was a teenager; how does one recover? By committing to no new pets.

Vanessa Baden Kelly: Millennials Leading the Mental Health Conversation (Rebellious Magazine)
Rebellious Magazine caught up with actress Vanessa Baden Kelly (Journee) for a quick chat about how “Giants” and Millennials are helping the conversation on mental health. IndieActvity also did a feature on Giants. Tweet

What to do When You Can’t Produce Your Feature Film (Hey Onicia)
After almost seven years of writing and coordinating with collaborators, I finally co-produced Sucker’s Garden a Caribbean a radio drama with my friend Kimberly Meyers. Here’s how we solved our film production problems.

JBF: Don't Debate with Nazis (The Daily Herald)
My stomach was hollow. I searched the text for answers but didn’t find any. “Roberto!”, I called for the roommate to review the 10-page PDF, “Did I just read Nazi propaganda or is this a failed attempt at playing devil’s advocate?”

Fangirlin'

Here are cool things I found online. This month is all about the women folk!

The Haven by Mia McCullough
Mia is putting Chicago women ta werk! Episode 1 and 2 casts are  89%  women. So far the crew has been 83% female and 30% people of color. IndieActivity published a feature on this project.

Pretty Witty - episode 41
At 50:20 Ash and Jay shared a very thoughtful piece on the prison industrial complex. Tweet

Kellye Talks - S2E7: RC Riley
Raising a baby I had for my ex-girl and finding my voice in storytelling. I'm a fan of both Kellye and RC. I learned so many things about both women.

A Life Without Social Media by Iris Kirkland
When Iris said she was going off the grid, I had all kinds of thoughts. The most amazing thing I've experienced since she started that journey 1 year ago is how timely her newsletter has been for my life even though she's not online.


Breaking Rules by Ada Cheng
I've been looking forward to this solo show for several months. I'm finally going to see it with some friends. Say "hi" if you see me.

Funny Laugh Productions
I'm enjoying Jackie, Mary, and Hayley's short film projects. Check out Headstrong for a quick laugh and tune in to their new web series Far From Hollywood. Tweet

I Got a Tax Refund, Now What? (Breaking The Piggy Bank)
Angelica's posts have been encouraging me to get all of my financial life. As a freelancer/self-employed person, money is deff feast or famine. These tips were helpful for changing my mindset regarding large sums of cash.

Story Play Media 
Like Netflix but Caribbean content!!!! Caribbean TV Online showcases the best video content for Caribbean people and people around the world who love Caribbean culture.

Niama's Adventures: Black Girls Are From the Future Presents by Renina Jarmon
Join Niama, a curious little girl full of magic and wonder. When Niama goes to sleep at night with her magic wand she time travels to different places far and near in her dreams. She visits Harlem, she swims with mermaids and even visits Queen Nefertiti in Egypt. When Niama time travels, she feels magical and free. Niama wants you to feel free too.

Do you make cool things? Let's collaborate


Previous Onicia Update
Previous Hey Onicia
Want to join my club of consensual stalkers? Subscribe!
Created on St. Maarten. Based in Chicago. Onicia Muller (@OniciaMuller) writes, says funny things, and enjoys hanging with creative minds. 
Support the arts by buying me ice cream or telling your Twitter homies.

Popular posts from this blog

'The Haven' using Web Series to Launch Chicago TV Pilot - Women in Film

The Haven written by Mia McCullough features Sage Lorinne Miskel as Tasha (daughter) and Alex Dauphin as Crystal (mother) What do you do when you have an original TV pilot that explores a world and characters different from traditional Hollywood scripts? You do like Mia McCullough and Elizabeth Laidlaw and create a web series! THE HAVEN  is a web series covering an extensive period in the lives of the clients and staff of a domestic violence center. The staff forms the main cast. The clients are secondary characters.  Web series is a great storytelling tool for exploring characters and worlds. Compared to a TV show, these short format made-for-the-web productions often require fewer resources to produce. These scripts, which are usually under 30 minutes/pages, allow screenwriters to tell stories by and about underrepresented communities. Best of all, the finished content is immediately available to that community — #RepresentationMatters.  Mia and co-producer Elizabet

Flirty thumb wrestling - Just Being Funny

On our fourth date, Roberto gifted me his Christian dating book. Apparently, there are five dating levels. He was ready for us to enter the second level. Each level came with instructions for physical boundaries.  Level 3 was where things would – nay, could – get exciting. Then we could have “face-to-face” contact. I was almost certain that meant kissing, but from the way things were going, this could very well just be us rubbing our cheeks together. Maybe he was into more alternative forms of intimacy and wanted to experiment with rubbing our foreheads together. Ey, every lock has a key! No judgment. At level 2, we had limited hand holding and flirty thumb fights. I was only allowed to touch exposed body parts. If he wore a cap sleeve t-shirt, I could only touch him all the way up to the hem of that sleeve. If he wore a long sleeve button down, I could only touch up to his wrist. His body is a wonderland with restrictive visiting hours. But I'm not here to bash lifestyle cho

How to Afford Hired Help When You’re Still A Struggling Artist? - Hey Onicia

In an interview with 2 and A Bottle , they asked how I afforded to hire an assistant for creative ventures. I am pro paying people for their work because artists die from exposure; ‘likes’ and retweets do not pay the bills. Here’s how I’m able to pay people even though I’m still in that struggling artist phase. Hey Onicia is a series where I tap into my type-A side and answer questions from my friends about this starving artist life. If you find this helpful, share with your twitter homies or thank me with ice cream . Want to chat or collaborate? Holla at me ! First off, major side eye to people who blow mad cash on taxi rides, Beyonce concerts, and fast fashion while begging for free labor. Seriously, offering me five bucks so I can buy a pint of ice cream for things I do to pay the bills is less insulting than demanding it for free. Save up and pay full rate I wish everyone could get their asking price. If you can afford it, pay it. You can’t bui