Skip to main content

Stories About Stories - Onicia Update - April 2019

Lead Image 2019

I'm alive and writing. Since my last letter, I've been diligently collecting stories about stories. Confused? Let me explain.

Writing is more than the time spent actively stringing words together. Ideas are planted and explored during seemingly mundane activities within our daily lives; waiting at the bus stop, washing dishes, or even while zoning out during a sermon.

I started drafting a "Hey Onicia" about my story journey, the process of taking a project from idea to writing the first sentences of the first draft. I abandoned finishing that article because I don't want to block my creative flow by pausing to analyze the process when I'm knee deep in it. I would, but I've been dealing with tendonitis in both hands and therefore have to be intentional about how I use my hands. 

Shoveling mounds of ice cream? YES! Writing a newsletter? NAH!
Shouting into the Twitter void? NAH! Writing letters to friends? YES!

So yeah,  tendonitis and other life changes are forcing me to rest from working my fingers and wrists for 8+ hours a day. No lifting heavy objects. No scrolling my life away. This month's fangirlin' section includes a non-exhaustive list of content I've consumed.

Don't cry for me. After roughly two months of real rest (I've been trying to force myself to rest since May 2018), I'm back at the desk banging out new stories for Just Being Funny and working on a comedy pilot. 

Oh yeah, next month I'm going to see KevOnStage in Chicago. Kev is my favorite (clean) comedian. He's on a mission to sell out a venue with 10K seats!


The roommate sent me this image. Dearest friends, this "influencer" is trash. Please know that I gladly accept donations to support my ice cream habit AND I actually eat my ice cream.

That's all I gotta say today. Got something I should see or someone I should collaborate with? Email me or shout at me on Twitter.

Women In Comedy

While I continue my break from performing, I now dedicate this section to showcasing women in comedy. There's this saying that women aren't funny. I believe people just haven't experienced enough female comics. If you're ever in Chicago, I highly recommend the kates.



Da Work

JBF: How Yuh Dog Lost? (The Daily Herald)
I pondered this lost dog situation after reading a post on Reddit about how some woman left her pack of wolves but was recognized seven years later. Yup, Rebecca left Balto and the gang for seven years, then she just popped up on the tundra, and the squad was said “Sup?!”.

JBF: A Well-seasoned Sexpot (The Daily Herald)
I don’t know what it is about my face or my energy, but people love to tell me they business – old people, crazy people; homeless people, in particular, love to talk to me. I’m hoping it’s because one day someone’s granny will write me into her will. Why? Because unlike her dusty and ungrateful grandchildren, I took the time to listen to her story. That’s why!

Fangirlin'

How to be a better American Adult Person (Candice Lola)
Tiny Tip Tuesdays: Heal Before You Deal (Kellye Howard / Be Less Petty TV)
Pretty Witty Podcast
WWE: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)
The Perfect Scam (AARP)
5 Biggest Financial Scams and How To Avoid Them (Two Cents / PBS Digital Studios)
8 Tips for Marketing Your Film (Submittable / Jackie Jorgenson)
Nurse Jackie (Showtime/Netflix)
The Wire
Fat Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes (She's All Fat )
Jackie Aaina
Patricia Bright
The Subversive Masculinity of Aquaman (Devin Whitlock)
In My Brankruptcy Feelings (Breaking the Piggy Bank)
Brujos (Ricardo Gamboa / OpenTV)
Chi-town Comedy Chats (Laurie Fanelli/Rebellious Magazine)
The Read podcast
Black Girl in a Big Dress
Show Your Work! (Austin Kleon) Recommended by Sandy Lee.
The Gifts of Imperfection (Brene Brown) Recommeded by Tamara Holder
You’ll Never Be Famous — And That’s O.K. (Emily Esfahani Smith/ The New York Times)
The Assassination of Gianni Versace: 
Transformer documentary
Juanita movie
Yummy Mommies
Velvet Buzzsaw




Do you make cool things? Let's collaborate! Serciously, I want to see and conspire with you to create dope ish.

Want to join my club of consensual stalkers? Subscribe!
Created on St. Maarten. Based in Chicago. Onicia Muller (@OniciaMuller) writes, says funny things, and enjoys hanging with creative minds. 
Support the arts by buying me ice cream or telling your Twitter homies.

Popular posts from this blog

'The Haven' using Web Series to Launch Chicago TV Pilot - Women in Film

The Haven written by Mia McCullough features Sage Lorinne Miskel as Tasha (daughter) and Alex Dauphin as Crystal (mother) What do you do when you have an original TV pilot that explores a world and characters different from traditional Hollywood scripts? You do like Mia McCullough and Elizabeth Laidlaw and create a web series! THE HAVEN  is a web series covering an extensive period in the lives of the clients and staff of a domestic violence center. The staff forms the main cast. The clients are secondary characters.  Web series is a great storytelling tool for exploring characters and worlds. Compared to a TV show, these short format made-for-the-web productions often require fewer resources to produce. These scripts, which are usually under 30 minutes/pages, allow screenwriters to tell stories by and about underrepresented communities. Best of all, the finished content is immediately available to that community — #RepresentationMatters.  Mia and co-producer Elizabet

Flirty thumb wrestling - Just Being Funny

On our fourth date, Roberto gifted me his Christian dating book. Apparently, there are five dating levels. He was ready for us to enter the second level. Each level came with instructions for physical boundaries.  Level 3 was where things would – nay, could – get exciting. Then we could have “face-to-face” contact. I was almost certain that meant kissing, but from the way things were going, this could very well just be us rubbing our cheeks together. Maybe he was into more alternative forms of intimacy and wanted to experiment with rubbing our foreheads together. Ey, every lock has a key! No judgment. At level 2, we had limited hand holding and flirty thumb fights. I was only allowed to touch exposed body parts. If he wore a cap sleeve t-shirt, I could only touch him all the way up to the hem of that sleeve. If he wore a long sleeve button down, I could only touch up to his wrist. His body is a wonderland with restrictive visiting hours. But I'm not here to bash lifestyle cho

How to Afford Hired Help When You’re Still A Struggling Artist? - Hey Onicia

In an interview with 2 and A Bottle , they asked how I afforded to hire an assistant for creative ventures. I am pro paying people for their work because artists die from exposure; ‘likes’ and retweets do not pay the bills. Here’s how I’m able to pay people even though I’m still in that struggling artist phase. Hey Onicia is a series where I tap into my type-A side and answer questions from my friends about this starving artist life. If you find this helpful, share with your twitter homies or thank me with ice cream . Want to chat or collaborate? Holla at me ! First off, major side eye to people who blow mad cash on taxi rides, Beyonce concerts, and fast fashion while begging for free labor. Seriously, offering me five bucks so I can buy a pint of ice cream for things I do to pay the bills is less insulting than demanding it for free. Save up and pay full rate I wish everyone could get their asking price. If you can afford it, pay it. You can’t bui