Skip to main content

How do I Know if My Writing is Improving - Hey Onicia

Hey, Onicia!

So, I have been using Hemingway app for editing for some time. It has helped me get a lot together. But I can’t help but to notice, when I put a published pieced from a well respected writer that it is all kinds of mark-ups. Which app do you use, if you use one at all?

I hear all the time to learn the rules then break them, but then I think there are so many rules to learn, lawd Jesus. I feel like I never will know all the rules, but I won’t give up.

Hey Onicia is a series where I tap into my type-A side and answer questions from my friends about this starving artist life. These posts might contain affiliate links; at no cost to you, I might earn a commission when you make a purchase. If you find this helpful, share with your twitter homies or thank me with ice cream. Want to pick my brain? Holla at me! 

Hey, Iris!

Yes, writing is an art. The rules are suggestions. So, learn the rules and then break them.
Hemmingway helped me be concise. Especially when writing for children.

I've had a Grammarly subscription for almost 4 years now. Grammarly is not perfect and can miss contextual errors. It doesn't understand slang or human-speak.

I use Merriam-Webster every day to confirm spelling, definitions, and alternative words.

Grammar Girl is my fave resource for learning the rules.

Google Docs voice typing is a powerful voice-to-text tool. Perfect for when you can't get your fingers to move as fast as your mind.

As you've seen with the Hemmingway app, respected authors have plenty of "mistakes" that went unnoticed by you. Measure your writing by influence, not by some arbituary grammar score.

How to tell if your writing is improving

  • Do I feel more confident while writing?
  • Am I writing faster?
  • Do I cringe less when I re-read my work?
  • Are people responding to my call to actions?
  • Am I getting more shares, comments, or generating a discussion?
  • Am I landing more clients?
Basically, is your writing bringing you closer to your goals or are you in the same position?



Popular posts from this blog

Add to cart button

Doing Coke on the Bus - Just Being Funny

The shenanigans of everyday public transportation never cease to amaze me. I thought the reckless driving of Mexican bus red drivers was the most exciting thing ever. I thought the train jumping of suicidal Dutchman was the most annoying thing. However, Chicago riders take the cake. We're on our way to the south side for some authentic Chicago barbecue when a mad driver in a minivan rear-ends the bus. Instead of stopping, they then squeeze between us and the parked cars. This is their rubbish attempt at getting away from whatever was chasing them. Recognizing that we were in fact on our way to Chicago's south side, instinctively duck below the windows. I open my eyes to see my travel companion sitting upright with their face pressed against the glass. “What are you doing?” I asked. “I want to know what happened.” Dread, this was not the time to be a mocco neighbor. Chicago is not a war zone but it was very likely that shower of bullets could follow. The minivan’s reckl...

Just be a Cubicle Bible - Just Being Funny

“Sir, your claim was denied due to moisture. Yes, water is moisture.” It started as any other day at the call center - or so I thought. At 8:30 a.m. sharp I began working towards my self-imposed 80-call quota. Arguing with ignorant adults about the terms of their two-page contract which they didn’t read is not something you want to do more than once a day. Eighty was my sanity limit. I also had zero motivation to increase this corporations’ profits. On this particular call, the customer was upset because the warranty company was denying their claim for part which was ‘clearly covered on the contract’. However, the client failed to see that ‘failure due to moisture’ voided anything that was ‘clearly covered on the contract’. We were fifteen minutes into the call. I needed a break. “Sir, let me place you on hold while I review the terms with my Manager.” Instead of calling my Manager, I peeked over the cubicle partition to check in with my office BFF. From her exasperate...