Skip to main content

Must-watch Web Series by Black Women - Onicia Update - December 2019

Web Series by black women 2019


Hidee Ho, Neighbors!

Welcome back to my corner of the internet. In my final newsletter for 2019 (Woot! Woot!), I have a brief round up of must-watch web series by black women.

Aluminum Coverage is now live on YouTube!

Like. Share. Comment. Don't know what to comment? A simple "LOL, Onicia you are the world's funniest writer!" will do. Can't spell? Just drop some emojis.

That's all I gotta say today. Got something I should see or someone I should collaborate with? Email me or shout at me on Twitter.

Must-watch Web Series by Black Women

Support artits by sharing our work, smashing that like button, and commenting. Thanks.

Black Girl in a Big Dress (Aydrea Walden)
BLACK GIRL IN A BIG DRESS is a webseries series about an African American Anglophile cosplayer in love with the Victorian Era. Adrienne feels happy and confident when she's dressed up living life like it's a fairy tale, but back in the real world, it's a whole different story.

Black Enough (Micah Ariel Watson)
I remember going to college and feeling like #BlackGirlMagic had to be fake, because it certainly didn’t apply to me. The same rich and diverse community that I love so much was the same community that I didn’t feel good enough, woke enough, pretty enough to be apart of.

Mom in Real Life (Tania Richard)
Mom in real life is a comedy about Rory, a wife and mom who lives in a suburb just outside a big city," Richard told SCREEN. "She fantasizes about being an idyllic mother but alas, it is only in her dreams. This series is for anyone who tries and fails and picks themselves up and tries again.
<3 p="">
King Ester ( Dui Jarrod)
This series wasn't created by a black, female-identified filmmaker BUT Ester is such a compelling black, female character that I had to include this web series. This is the story of Ester, a trans woman struggling to find her path in New Orleans during the week before Hurricane Katrina. In the face of an evacuation order, she is forced to make a choice that will impact her future forever. Will she get out on time?

Drunk Science (Candice Lola)
An enthusiastic host performs simple experiments and then humorously explains the science behind the result, all while visibly drunk.

Upcoming Events

Mother Cluckers Comedy (Anderon's Bookshop)
Stand-up Comedy
January 9, 2020

The Skewer (Cafe Mustache, Chicago)
Storytelling - Satire revue
​February 5, 2020

Look, Mom. I made stuff.

Orange is the New Black - Pottytime for Chickies


JBF: Container Farts (The Daily Herald)
Anywhores, one day we were in class and Mrs. Rachel suddenly stopped the lesson. Homegyal went from nice-nice to “Stop it right now!” Who was she talking to? What was she talking about? I didn’t know.

How do I Know if My Writing is Improving (Hey Onicia)
I hear all the time to learn the rules then break them, but then I think there are so many rules to learn, lawd Jesus. I feel like I never will know all the rules, but I won’t give up.

Fake Universities Targeting The Caribbean (The Daily Herald)
Increased access to the internet makes distance and online learning more appealing to adult learners in the Caribbean. Job seekers can use their newly obtained educational credentials to request promotions and salary increases. Fake universities are now a huge threat.



Have any web series recommendations? Send them my way and I might feature you in my next newsletter. They don't have to be by black women.  Let's collaborate!

Want to join my club of consensual stalkers? Subscribe!
Created on St. Maarten. Based in Chicago. Onicia Muller (@OniciaMuller) writes, says funny things, and enjoys hanging with creative minds. 
Support the arts by buying me ice cream or telling your Twitter homies.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Afford Hired Help When You’re Still A Struggling Artist? - Hey Onicia

In an interview with 2 and A Bottle , they asked how I afforded to hire an assistant for creative ventures. I am pro paying people for their work because artists die from exposure; ‘likes’ and retweets do not pay the bills. Here’s how I’m able to pay people even though I’m still in that struggling artist phase. Hey Onicia is a series where I tap into my type-A side and answer questions from my friends about this starving artist life. If you find this helpful, share with your twitter homies or thank me with ice cream . Want to chat or collaborate? Holla at me ! First off, major side eye to people who blow mad cash on taxi rides, Beyonce concerts, and fast fashion while begging for free labor. Seriously, offering me five bucks so I can buy a pint of ice cream for things I do to pay the bills is less insulting than demanding it for free. Save up and pay full rate I wish everyone could get their asking price. If you can afford it, pay it. You can’t bui

'The Haven' using Web Series to Launch Chicago TV Pilot - Women in Film

The Haven written by Mia McCullough features Sage Lorinne Miskel as Tasha (daughter) and Alex Dauphin as Crystal (mother) What do you do when you have an original TV pilot that explores a world and characters different from traditional Hollywood scripts? You do like Mia McCullough and Elizabeth Laidlaw and create a web series! THE HAVEN  is a web series covering an extensive period in the lives of the clients and staff of a domestic violence center. The staff forms the main cast. The clients are secondary characters.  Web series is a great storytelling tool for exploring characters and worlds. Compared to a TV show, these short format made-for-the-web productions often require fewer resources to produce. These scripts, which are usually under 30 minutes/pages, allow screenwriters to tell stories by and about underrepresented communities. Best of all, the finished content is immediately available to that community — #RepresentationMatters.  Mia and co-producer Elizabet

Flirty thumb wrestling - Just Being Funny

On our fourth date, Roberto gifted me his Christian dating book. Apparently, there are five dating levels. He was ready for us to enter the second level. Each level came with instructions for physical boundaries.  Level 3 was where things would – nay, could – get exciting. Then we could have “face-to-face” contact. I was almost certain that meant kissing, but from the way things were going, this could very well just be us rubbing our cheeks together. Maybe he was into more alternative forms of intimacy and wanted to experiment with rubbing our foreheads together. Ey, every lock has a key! No judgment. At level 2, we had limited hand holding and flirty thumb fights. I was only allowed to touch exposed body parts. If he wore a cap sleeve t-shirt, I could only touch him all the way up to the hem of that sleeve. If he wore a long sleeve button down, I could only touch up to his wrist. His body is a wonderland with restrictive visiting hours. But I'm not here to bash lifestyle cho