Skip to main content

What to do When You Can’t Produce Your Feature Film? - Hey Onicia

Lead Image 2018

What do you do when you can’t afford to produce your feature film? Well, after almost seven years of writing and coordinating with collaborators, I finally co-produced Sucker’s Garden a Caribbean a radio drama with my friend Kimberly Meyers. Here’s how we got to this point.

Hey Onicia is a series where I tap into my type-A side and answer questions from my friends about this starving artist life. If you find this helpful, share with your twitter homies or thank me with ice cream. Want to chat or collaborate? Holla at me!

Create your vision then worry about budgets.
That was the first lesson in my undergrad screenwriting class. When Kimberly approached me about turning her dream into a screenplay, we agreed to first tell the story before worrying about marketing, budgets, or casting. Telling the story as you imagine – not as what’s trending in Hollywood or what you can afford – liberates you.

You own the rights to your story. There’s nothing stopping you from later reformatting it for different mediums or repurposing storylines and characters. Superhero origin stories are constantly retold. TV characters appear in multiple series.

Time and living are the best ingredients to improve a draft.
Usually, in writing programs, you're rushed to deliver multiple drafts within a few weeks. I never really understood/appreciated the benefit of rewrites until I wasn’t rushed to pump out words.

Writing is not just sitting at your computer and typing. We develop stories and characters while doing everyday activities. Through taking time to mature as an adult and unlearning negative Character stereotypes, we gained the opportunity refine Sucker’s Garden.



Have a plan and be patient while the universe presents options.
In grad school, a professor advised us not to be precious about our work. Just because you got an A+ in a writing workshop doesn’t mean you deserve an Oscar. So write your draft, shop your draft, live your life, and repeat the cycle. Screenwriter Cas Sigers shopped When Love Kills for 10 years before finding a producer. Yes, be a self-starter. Be persistent. Also, be patient with yourself and collaborators.

Initially tried to use a grant to produce the full film. We quickly learned that $5K doesn’t cover squat -- especially when one producer needs airfare. It’s unlikely you will film your first feature during a 1-month holiday. After our failed summer shoot, we decided to scale back. Instead of feature, we’d produce a short, a web series, an animated film, and even a novel. Finally, we tapped into our Caribbean roots and settled on an audio drama.

Prioritize proper spelling and grammar.
Reformatting delayed the project. I was stuck trying to confirm industry script standards. When producing independently, the only thing that really matters is proper spelling and grammar. Actors care more about credit and payment than story and script formatting. Note: polished scripts attract literate actors and a crew that is less likely to flake. Besides, screenwriting software does most of the heavy lifting. If there’s no preset, be creative not obsessive.

Low-budget projects are exercises in ‘completion’.
After all the re-writes and re-formats, we finally got voice actors to record the dialog. However, perfectionism got the best of me. It took another 2 months before I even opened my audio editor. After we released the trailer, it took another 6-ish weeks before we completed the final track. Perfectionism is often the reason why we procrastinate. The project only moved forward when I go of trying to win awards or compete with big budget productions. Done is always better than perfect.

Release it because you like it, not because they’ll like it.
After listening to the final cut, a friend told me not to release the project because it would “hurt my brand.” I played the track several times. I was proud of Sucker’s Garden. We improved as writers, paid our talent and crew, and dedicated years of our life. There’s no way I was shelving it because it didn’t have the potential to go viral.

The final product is only a 10-minute excerpt from a 90-minute story. There is no resolution. No crowdfunding campaign. No merchandise. Only completion. The next week, I uploaded it to YouTube and distributed my press release. The results: I had mad fun adapting my feature film into a radio drama dope with my friends. My new producer’s credit pushes me.

What do you think?
 Tweet me questions using #HeyOnicia
I'm a creative with type-A tendencies who tried working in a call center but realized I'd rather help creatives get organized. I'm pimping out all my marketable skills to fund my art and ice cream habit.
Want more tips for being a creative professional? SubscribeFREE RESOURCESBuy me ice cream. Share.
Onicia TwitterOnicia Muller Newletter Onicia Muller Facebook PageOnicia Muller YouTube

Popular posts from this blog

'The Haven' using Web Series to Launch Chicago TV Pilot - Women in Film

The Haven written by Mia McCullough features Sage Lorinne Miskel as Tasha (daughter) and Alex Dauphin as Crystal (mother) What do you do when you have an original TV pilot that explores a world and characters different from traditional Hollywood scripts? You do like Mia McCullough and Elizabeth Laidlaw and create a web series! THE HAVEN  is a web series covering an extensive period in the lives of the clients and staff of a domestic violence center. The staff forms the main cast. The clients are secondary characters.  Web series is a great storytelling tool for exploring characters and worlds. Compared to a TV show, these short format made-for-the-web productions often require fewer resources to produce. These scripts, which are usually under 30 minutes/pages, allow screenwriters to tell stories by and about underrepresented communities. Best of all, the finished content is immediately available to that community — #RepresentationMatters.  Mia and co-producer Elizabet

Flirty thumb wrestling - Just Being Funny

On our fourth date, Roberto gifted me his Christian dating book. Apparently, there are five dating levels. He was ready for us to enter the second level. Each level came with instructions for physical boundaries.  Level 3 was where things would – nay, could – get exciting. Then we could have “face-to-face” contact. I was almost certain that meant kissing, but from the way things were going, this could very well just be us rubbing our cheeks together. Maybe he was into more alternative forms of intimacy and wanted to experiment with rubbing our foreheads together. Ey, every lock has a key! No judgment. At level 2, we had limited hand holding and flirty thumb fights. I was only allowed to touch exposed body parts. If he wore a cap sleeve t-shirt, I could only touch him all the way up to the hem of that sleeve. If he wore a long sleeve button down, I could only touch up to his wrist. His body is a wonderland with restrictive visiting hours. But I'm not here to bash lifestyle cho

How to Afford Hired Help When You’re Still A Struggling Artist? - Hey Onicia

In an interview with 2 and A Bottle , they asked how I afforded to hire an assistant for creative ventures. I am pro paying people for their work because artists die from exposure; ‘likes’ and retweets do not pay the bills. Here’s how I’m able to pay people even though I’m still in that struggling artist phase. Hey Onicia is a series where I tap into my type-A side and answer questions from my friends about this starving artist life. If you find this helpful, share with your twitter homies or thank me with ice cream . Want to chat or collaborate? Holla at me ! First off, major side eye to people who blow mad cash on taxi rides, Beyonce concerts, and fast fashion while begging for free labor. Seriously, offering me five bucks so I can buy a pint of ice cream for things I do to pay the bills is less insulting than demanding it for free. Save up and pay full rate I wish everyone could get their asking price. If you can afford it, pay it. You can’t bui