Skip to main content

Where to Write When You’re Cheap and Broke? - Hey Onicia

Lead Image 2018

My friend Annamarie from Dutch Alien Lands in the U.S. asked “where do you go to write? Or do you stay at home? It might have to do with the fact that we just moved, but I have to get a story off my chest and I can't seem to start at home. Is there a secret writer’s hotel or something?” Here’s what I told her about where to write when you’re cheap and broke.

Hey Onicia is a series where I tap into my type-A side and answer questions from my friends about this starving artist life. If you find this helpful, share with your twitter homies or thank me with ice cream. Want to chat or collaborate? Holla at me!

My sisters often encourage me to spend money on annual celebrations like holidays and birthdays because I work so hard and need to relax. My reply: spending money stresses me out. Staying at home doing nothing relaxes me. 

Write at a coffee shop or bookstore? How does one write under the constant pressure to spend money? During any given workday I drink 3-5 cups of tea. Who is paying for all this tea? Not me! I’m saving my money for ice cream.

Instead of listing writing locations, I shared tools that help me write faster and overcome the blank page.

Home
My home. Your home. Doesn’t matter as long as the rent is paid and there is Wi-Fi.

The Library
Our ‘starving artist’ tax dollars fund libraries, we might as well use them. The library offers a change of location, large desks, study rooms, internet access, and reference books. Your quick visit to Wikipedia doesn’t turn into an extended stay on Twitter. 

The Bus Stop
Oh yes, I use voice typing and a variety of other tools to help me write faster and proofread my work. I often draft my weekly humor column while waiting for the bus.


The Temp Job
Yes, staying home can become mundane. My favorite non-home location is my temp job(s). While working as a temp receptionist, I enjoy free Wi-Fi, free (hot) drinks, and sometimes I get leftovers from catered meetings. The ringing phone and countdown to mandatory lunchtime push me to write. I love when there’s a standing desk or ergonomic workstation. 

For freelance writers, cushy receptionist gigs offer all the benefits of working at a café without having to spend a dime. It’s better because you make money while writing. 


Seriously, cafés are loud, nasty, expensive, and require me to leave home. Listen, Rebecca. I’m not going to waste an hour and a half commuting to the city (round trip) for a two-hour writing session. At home I can wear comfy clothes, enjoy unlimited snacks, fart, and never have to wait to use the restroom. No one is gonna arrest me for being pants-less sand braless in my home!

Those are my favorite writing spots. Where do you write?


What do you think?
 Tweet me questions using #HeyOnicia
I'm a creative with type-A tendencies who tried working in a call center but realized I'd rather help creatives get organized. I'm pimping out all my marketable skills to fund my art and ice cream habit.
Want more tips for being a creative professional? SubscribeFREE RESOURCESBuy me ice cream. Share.
Onicia TwitterOnicia Muller Newletter Onicia Muller Facebook PageOnicia Muller YouTube

Popular posts from this blog

'The Haven' using Web Series to Launch Chicago TV Pilot - Women in Film

The Haven written by Mia McCullough features Sage Lorinne Miskel as Tasha (daughter) and Alex Dauphin as Crystal (mother) What do you do when you have an original TV pilot that explores a world and characters different from traditional Hollywood scripts? You do like Mia McCullough and Elizabeth Laidlaw and create a web series! THE HAVEN  is a web series covering an extensive period in the lives of the clients and staff of a domestic violence center. The staff forms the main cast. The clients are secondary characters.  Web series is a great storytelling tool for exploring characters and worlds. Compared to a TV show, these short format made-for-the-web productions often require fewer resources to produce. These scripts, which are usually under 30 minutes/pages, allow screenwriters to tell stories by and about underrepresented communities. Best of all, the finished content is immediately available to that community — #RepresentationMatters.  Mia and co-producer Elizabet

Flirty thumb wrestling - Just Being Funny

On our fourth date, Roberto gifted me his Christian dating book. Apparently, there are five dating levels. He was ready for us to enter the second level. Each level came with instructions for physical boundaries.  Level 3 was where things would – nay, could – get exciting. Then we could have “face-to-face” contact. I was almost certain that meant kissing, but from the way things were going, this could very well just be us rubbing our cheeks together. Maybe he was into more alternative forms of intimacy and wanted to experiment with rubbing our foreheads together. Ey, every lock has a key! No judgment. At level 2, we had limited hand holding and flirty thumb fights. I was only allowed to touch exposed body parts. If he wore a cap sleeve t-shirt, I could only touch him all the way up to the hem of that sleeve. If he wore a long sleeve button down, I could only touch up to his wrist. His body is a wonderland with restrictive visiting hours. But I'm not here to bash lifestyle cho

How to Afford Hired Help When You’re Still A Struggling Artist? - Hey Onicia

In an interview with 2 and A Bottle , they asked how I afforded to hire an assistant for creative ventures. I am pro paying people for their work because artists die from exposure; ‘likes’ and retweets do not pay the bills. Here’s how I’m able to pay people even though I’m still in that struggling artist phase. Hey Onicia is a series where I tap into my type-A side and answer questions from my friends about this starving artist life. If you find this helpful, share with your twitter homies or thank me with ice cream . Want to chat or collaborate? Holla at me ! First off, major side eye to people who blow mad cash on taxi rides, Beyonce concerts, and fast fashion while begging for free labor. Seriously, offering me five bucks so I can buy a pint of ice cream for things I do to pay the bills is less insulting than demanding it for free. Save up and pay full rate I wish everyone could get their asking price. If you can afford it, pay it. You can’t bui