Skip to main content

Creative Growth - Onicia Update - May 2018

Lead Image 2018

When I started this newsletter in January 2016, I used it to hold myself accountable. How can I call myself a writer if my words are never published? How do I call myself a performer if I never stand on a stage? How do I prove that I get ish done (am a successful project manager) if I don't produce receipts? Most importantly, how do I stay motivated if I never revisit past accomplishments?

May marks one year of consistently publishing my Onicia Updates (thanks, LT in the City). This month's letter features more published writings, cool creatives I fangirl for, and a few throwback portfolio items.

I'm not where I want to be, but I'm also not where I used to be.

That's all I gotta say today. Got something I should see or someone I should collaborate with? Email me or shout at me on Twitter.

Upcoming Events

Here where you might find me socializing and performing.

May 19 at The Living Room
The Skewer - Cafe Mustache
June 6
Louder Than A Mom - Martyrs' Live
June 18

I'm not currently on Facebook so tracking down event links will be a bit tricky. You should always be able to find details at oniciamuller.com/bookings or searching local events on most event sites.



Published Writings

The Skewer: Best of 2017 (The Skewer)
A collection of satirical essays based on news stories from 2017. My piece, Juciero 101 is included in this publication by erica dreisbach and Tom Harrison.

JBF: Broken Facial Recognition (The Daily Herald)
Sure, I also don’t recognize many people out of context. So I prepared my heart to forgive my spiritual sister, but then Roberto opened his mouth.

Planning for Financial Emotional Pitfalls (Breaking the Piggy Bank)
When I confessed to my mom about my financial burden, I explained that I thought I couldn’t even afford a soda. She said, “Everyone deserves candy. Breaking your budget for one candy bar is not a crime. Don’t feel guilty.”

JBF: Unwrapping the White Elephant (The Daily Herald)
At this point, people started revealing who brought what. My heart rate increased. Should I take one of mine? Hell naw! I didn’t want my dinky paper goods.

Fangirlin'

Here are cool things I found online!

Far From Hollywood (Jackie Jorgenson)
The actor's struggle is real. It's even more real when you don't quite live in Hollywood. Jackie is hilarious and an inspiration.

You're Going to Make Mistakes (Breaking The Piggy Bank)
This month I am one week away from payday. Time cannot move fast enough. I have been crawling toward the 16th because I had several hiccups in my wealth management.

Pizza Paul (Lable Me Other)
Brian and Rita are collaboration goals. Pizza Paul is disturbing, must-watch short film.

Tomi Lahren Is an Alternate Universe Version of Me (Devin Witlock/The Skewer)
Breathe in. Breathe out. Forgive yourself and do better. I wish I didn't identify.
James gordon - poem

Greatest Poet Alive (James Gordon)
James is a wordsmith and talented actor. Check out his YouTube channel for super romantic poetic expressions.

Feminist Parenting: Poop Doula (Rebellious Magazine)
No poop lasts forever. Remember, Feminist Prom is May 19, 2018.

My Morning Routine (Benjamin Spall and Michael Xander)
Their newest book which covers how successful people start every day inspired.

Do you make cool things? Let's collaborate


Too Many Ideas - Hey Onicia
Previous Hey Onicia
Want to join my club of consensual stalkers? Subscribe!
Created on St. Maarten. Based in Chicago. Onicia Muller (@OniciaMuller) writes, says funny things, and enjoys hanging with creative minds. 
Support the arts by buying me ice cream or telling your Twitter homies.

Popular posts from this blog

'The Haven' using Web Series to Launch Chicago TV Pilot - Women in Film

The Haven written by Mia McCullough features Sage Lorinne Miskel as Tasha (daughter) and Alex Dauphin as Crystal (mother) What do you do when you have an original TV pilot that explores a world and characters different from traditional Hollywood scripts? You do like Mia McCullough and Elizabeth Laidlaw and create a web series! THE HAVEN  is a web series covering an extensive period in the lives of the clients and staff of a domestic violence center. The staff forms the main cast. The clients are secondary characters.  Web series is a great storytelling tool for exploring characters and worlds. Compared to a TV show, these short format made-for-the-web productions often require fewer resources to produce. These scripts, which are usually under 30 minutes/pages, allow screenwriters to tell stories by and about underrepresented communities. Best of all, the finished content is immediately available to that community — #RepresentationMatters.  Mia and co-producer Elizabet

Flirty thumb wrestling - Just Being Funny

On our fourth date, Roberto gifted me his Christian dating book. Apparently, there are five dating levels. He was ready for us to enter the second level. Each level came with instructions for physical boundaries.  Level 3 was where things would – nay, could – get exciting. Then we could have “face-to-face” contact. I was almost certain that meant kissing, but from the way things were going, this could very well just be us rubbing our cheeks together. Maybe he was into more alternative forms of intimacy and wanted to experiment with rubbing our foreheads together. Ey, every lock has a key! No judgment. At level 2, we had limited hand holding and flirty thumb fights. I was only allowed to touch exposed body parts. If he wore a cap sleeve t-shirt, I could only touch him all the way up to the hem of that sleeve. If he wore a long sleeve button down, I could only touch up to his wrist. His body is a wonderland with restrictive visiting hours. But I'm not here to bash lifestyle cho

How to Afford Hired Help When You’re Still A Struggling Artist? - Hey Onicia

In an interview with 2 and A Bottle , they asked how I afforded to hire an assistant for creative ventures. I am pro paying people for their work because artists die from exposure; ‘likes’ and retweets do not pay the bills. Here’s how I’m able to pay people even though I’m still in that struggling artist phase. Hey Onicia is a series where I tap into my type-A side and answer questions from my friends about this starving artist life. If you find this helpful, share with your twitter homies or thank me with ice cream . Want to chat or collaborate? Holla at me ! First off, major side eye to people who blow mad cash on taxi rides, Beyonce concerts, and fast fashion while begging for free labor. Seriously, offering me five bucks so I can buy a pint of ice cream for things I do to pay the bills is less insulting than demanding it for free. Save up and pay full rate I wish everyone could get their asking price. If you can afford it, pay it. You can’t bui