Skip to main content

Too Many Ideas, Not Enough Time - Hey Onicia

Lead Image 2018

“Do you ever have so many ideas for projects that you want to do all of simultaneously and so you end up feeling constantly overwhelmed but never doing any of them and what do you do to break out of that?”

Girl, you sound like someone who likes to talk about it but never be about it. Anyways, pull up close and let me drop some knowledge on you.

Hey Onicia is a series where I tap into my type-A side and answer questions from my friends about this starving artist life. If you find this helpful, share with your twitter homies or thank me with ice cream. Want to chat or collaborate? Holla at me!

So, you want to do all the things but end up doing none of the things? My solution is simple: pick one thing, set a deadline to revisit the others (1 year), and then just start.

Das it? Yup, das it!

Think about it. Your life is okay without doing any of these things right now. So, just pick one. You can always do the others later. Trust me. I have commitment issues. I’m also very ambitious. I know the struggle.

Jessica Abel has a create post about the concept of ‘idea debt’. “Idea Debt is when you spend too much time picturing what a project is going to be like, too much time thinking about how awesome it will be to have this thing done and in the world, too much time imagining how cool you will look, how in demand you’ll be, how much money you’ll make. And way too little time actually making the thing.”

Sooo, the questioner wasn’t convinced that being decisive would help her unlock her creative to-do list.

The thought of doing that actually makes me really unhappy. Maybe just the timeline?It's too long. Feels like something is being kept away/taken away from me...almost sort of punishment?”

I've thought about putting all those projects on slips of paper in a cookie jar and just drawing one out when I have a couple of hours to spare. Intuition tells me this might help, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.”

This was a social media post, so other friends with similar problems and mindsets chimed in. At that point, I had to mute notifications because they didn't really want to do the work. They just wanted to daydream about getting ish done. Keep reading if you're about da werk.

Yo, I don't understand why TEMPORARILY limiting yourself to one or two things feel like punishment. Did they not understand that they still had the option to do the other things just, you know, later???

That week I had been reflecting on Terry Crews and his drawing skills. I'm sure if he went hard at it, he could have had a career in illustration. But he didn’t. Instead he chose to focus on football, then acting, and eventually, he decided to share this drawing gift with the world.

Terry Crews reminded me that we are multifaceted. We can be good at more than one thing at a time. My blogger friend Tamara Holder from BaydianGirl.com says not everything has to be a side hustle. We can enjoy drawing without aiming to put in 10K hours or have it associated with 1040-ES forms. Nothing is forever.

Besides, my fellow lady in comedy Samantha Garcia says “when your hobby becomes your career, you need to find a new hobby.” So, yeah be careful what you wish for.

Oh yeah, and once you decide, DON’T TALK ABOUT YOUR ART. That’s lesson #1 from Mia McCullough’s Transforming Reality. It’s a book similar to Julia Cameron’s The Artist's Way, but way easier to get through. I’ve read both. Highly recommended.

Well, that’s it. That’s how I’ve been able to complete many of my bucket list items.

Want more reassurance? Cas Sigers-Beedles shared how you have to just start working on your passion projects and trust that your intuition will help prepare you for the right opportunities.


What do you think?
 Tweet me questions using #HeyOnicia
I'm a creative with type-A tendencies who tried working in a call center but realized I'd rather help creatives get organized. I'm pimping out all my marketable skills to fund my art and ice cream habit.
Want more tips for being a creative professional? SubscribeFREE RESOURCESBuy me ice cream. Share.

Popular posts from this blog

'The Haven' using Web Series to Launch Chicago TV Pilot - Women in Film

The Haven written by Mia McCullough features Sage Lorinne Miskel as Tasha (daughter) and Alex Dauphin as Crystal (mother) What do you do when you have an original TV pilot that explores a world and characters different from traditional Hollywood scripts? You do like Mia McCullough and Elizabeth Laidlaw and create a web series! THE HAVEN  is a web series covering an extensive period in the lives of the clients and staff of a domestic violence center. The staff forms the main cast. The clients are secondary characters.  Web series is a great storytelling tool for exploring characters and worlds. Compared to a TV show, these short format made-for-the-web productions often require fewer resources to produce. These scripts, which are usually under 30 minutes/pages, allow screenwriters to tell stories by and about underrepresented communities. Best of all, the finished content is immediately available to that community — #RepresentationMatters.  Mia and co-producer Elizabet

Flirty thumb wrestling - Just Being Funny

On our fourth date, Roberto gifted me his Christian dating book. Apparently, there are five dating levels. He was ready for us to enter the second level. Each level came with instructions for physical boundaries.  Level 3 was where things would – nay, could – get exciting. Then we could have “face-to-face” contact. I was almost certain that meant kissing, but from the way things were going, this could very well just be us rubbing our cheeks together. Maybe he was into more alternative forms of intimacy and wanted to experiment with rubbing our foreheads together. Ey, every lock has a key! No judgment. At level 2, we had limited hand holding and flirty thumb fights. I was only allowed to touch exposed body parts. If he wore a cap sleeve t-shirt, I could only touch him all the way up to the hem of that sleeve. If he wore a long sleeve button down, I could only touch up to his wrist. His body is a wonderland with restrictive visiting hours. But I'm not here to bash lifestyle cho

How to Afford Hired Help When You’re Still A Struggling Artist? - Hey Onicia

In an interview with 2 and A Bottle , they asked how I afforded to hire an assistant for creative ventures. I am pro paying people for their work because artists die from exposure; ‘likes’ and retweets do not pay the bills. Here’s how I’m able to pay people even though I’m still in that struggling artist phase. Hey Onicia is a series where I tap into my type-A side and answer questions from my friends about this starving artist life. If you find this helpful, share with your twitter homies or thank me with ice cream . Want to chat or collaborate? Holla at me ! First off, major side eye to people who blow mad cash on taxi rides, Beyonce concerts, and fast fashion while begging for free labor. Seriously, offering me five bucks so I can buy a pint of ice cream for things I do to pay the bills is less insulting than demanding it for free. Save up and pay full rate I wish everyone could get their asking price. If you can afford it, pay it. You can’t bui