Skip to main content

Puke in the Trash or Puke in the Taxi - Just Being Funny

I thought the hardest part of seeing a play is resisting the urge to eat snacks. Theater people be mad snobby. Simply crossings your legs can lead to passive-aggressive cut eyes. They don’t know your life and they don’t care whether your leg is cramping.
Here’s the situation: it's the weekend and I want to have fun, but I have to see my professor’s play. I didn’t have to, but I wanted to know if they could write. Like, how dare they take thousands of my dollars and judge my writing when they low key ain’t all that good?

I’m going to have my period. Most women just need to pop a Midol so they can keep it pimpin’. For me, I need to find shelter near a bathroom because it’s countdown to my monthly exorcism.

Because we’d already purchased tickets, plan A was to sit at the end of the row and just step out if I needed to. Real simple, right? Nah! 

It turns out that this is a storefront theater. Stepping out would most certainly lead to interrupting the play. We’ve already established that theater snobs don’t even want you to breathe! I didn’t need no staffer telling my professor I interrupted his performance.
More complications. The space was set up so that seating surrounded the performance area. This meant that if I wanted to exit, I had to walk through the performance! Then, I open the playbill and read “no intermission”. No intermission?!

Plan B. After settling into our seats, I spot a trash bin. Sure, there’s one guy between me and the bin, but that’s small things. I’m queasy and my bra is too tight. I unbutton my pants to make space for what is essentially the menstrual demon waging war on my innards.

I do that trick girls do with our bras. Then, I rest my purse on my lap, slip my bra from underneath my shirt, and slide into my purse. Booya! Smooth criminal. I momentarily forget it’s countdown to demon expelling.

About thirty minutes into the play, my saliva increases. I’m about to puke. 
Plan C! See, although the set is a cardboard kitchen – painted white with black trimming – the black trash bin doesn’t fit the kitchen motif. Now I doubt whether this was a blessing from the universe or a prop from Diablo. 

Decision: swallow the bile or fill my cheeks. If I swallow, I might vomit. There’s a chance that swallowing might be the one time I clip the right wire and defuse the bomb. However, experience tells me otherwise.

I hold my spit for 45 minutes. I am woozy. As pre-puke is about to escape my lips, an actor retrieves a secret prop from the trash. What?! I almost puked all over the props. That’s way worse than munching on Doritos.
Then I did something that I wish on a few of my enemies: I swallowed my pre-puke. Thankfully, I tossed my cookies during the taxi ride back home.


What would you do? Tweet me using #JBFxOnicia


Created on St. Maarten. Based in Chicago. Onicia Muller (@OniciaMuller) writes, says funny things, and enjoys hanging with creative minds. Originally published in The Daily Herald's Weekender, Just Being Funny is a weekly reflection where Onicia laughs at life


Want more funny? Subscribe. Buy me ice cream. Share.

Popular posts from this blog

'The Haven' using Web Series to Launch Chicago TV Pilot - Women in Film

The Haven written by Mia McCullough features Sage Lorinne Miskel as Tasha (daughter) and Alex Dauphin as Crystal (mother) What do you do when you have an original TV pilot that explores a world and characters different from traditional Hollywood scripts? You do like Mia McCullough and Elizabeth Laidlaw and create a web series! THE HAVEN  is a web series covering an extensive period in the lives of the clients and staff of a domestic violence center. The staff forms the main cast. The clients are secondary characters.  Web series is a great storytelling tool for exploring characters and worlds. Compared to a TV show, these short format made-for-the-web productions often require fewer resources to produce. These scripts, which are usually under 30 minutes/pages, allow screenwriters to tell stories by and about underrepresented communities. Best of all, the finished content is immediately available to that community — #RepresentationMatters.  Mia and co-producer Elizabet

Flirty thumb wrestling - Just Being Funny

On our fourth date, Roberto gifted me his Christian dating book. Apparently, there are five dating levels. He was ready for us to enter the second level. Each level came with instructions for physical boundaries.  Level 3 was where things would – nay, could – get exciting. Then we could have “face-to-face” contact. I was almost certain that meant kissing, but from the way things were going, this could very well just be us rubbing our cheeks together. Maybe he was into more alternative forms of intimacy and wanted to experiment with rubbing our foreheads together. Ey, every lock has a key! No judgment. At level 2, we had limited hand holding and flirty thumb fights. I was only allowed to touch exposed body parts. If he wore a cap sleeve t-shirt, I could only touch him all the way up to the hem of that sleeve. If he wore a long sleeve button down, I could only touch up to his wrist. His body is a wonderland with restrictive visiting hours. But I'm not here to bash lifestyle cho

How to Afford Hired Help When You’re Still A Struggling Artist? - Hey Onicia

In an interview with 2 and A Bottle , they asked how I afforded to hire an assistant for creative ventures. I am pro paying people for their work because artists die from exposure; ‘likes’ and retweets do not pay the bills. Here’s how I’m able to pay people even though I’m still in that struggling artist phase. Hey Onicia is a series where I tap into my type-A side and answer questions from my friends about this starving artist life. If you find this helpful, share with your twitter homies or thank me with ice cream . Want to chat or collaborate? Holla at me ! First off, major side eye to people who blow mad cash on taxi rides, Beyonce concerts, and fast fashion while begging for free labor. Seriously, offering me five bucks so I can buy a pint of ice cream for things I do to pay the bills is less insulting than demanding it for free. Save up and pay full rate I wish everyone could get their asking price. If you can afford it, pay it. You can’t bui