Skip to main content

How to Mount a Play in 8 Weeks - Hey Onicia

How to mount a play in 8 weeks - Hey Onicia



Tired of getting rejected by theaters? How about you just produce your own play? If you have about three grand, you can mount a mostly black-box show featuring 4 actors in eight weeks. You can even splurge for a director and stage manager. I highly recommend hiring them since you’ll be the producer, accountant, marketing manager, caterer, etc. You can produce your own staged production for less than money, but I always recommend paying artists. Here are 8 tips for mounting a play in 8 weeks.

Hey Onicia is a series where I tap into my type-A side and answer questions from my friends about this starving artist life. If you find this helpful, share with your twitter homies or thank me with ice cream. Want to chat or collaborate? Holla at me!

SHIT AND GET OFF THE POT

I am guilty of agonizing over scene actions and set descriptions. When I get tunnel vision, I shout “Onicia, just finish it. FINISH SHIT!” The theater is a collaborative art. The script will evolve during rehearsals and the actual performances! So finish writing your shit and MOVE ON. Strive to write a quality play, but don’t let dreams of awards or perfection cripple you from actually writing. Getting a ‘hit’ is partly a numbers game. So, release some of the pressure by setting the bar low and complete a draft.

SPELL CHECK AND DOUBLE CHECK

While your script can be workshopped to death, what can’t be ‘done to death’ is spell checking. First impressions are a one-shot deal. Early in my career, I was asked to write a script. I busted out a hot 30-page pilot and they were ready to go straight to shooting. They did not want to spend any time developing my script even when I asked for feedback. My friend advised not to go forward with this opportunity. This was the best advice.

Your story may be in a ‘rough draft,’ your document shouldn’t be. Anyone – actor, director, theater – willing to sign-on to a project where the basic proposal is sloppy will give you sloppy work.

DO THE ADMIN: MAKE A BUDGET

“Vague goals deliver vague results.” Projects go over budget and schedule because there are too many unknown unknowns. You need to be aware of -- or at minimum prepare for -- the unknowns. If you have $10K, allocate 10-20% to miscellaneous expenses. For props and marketing materials, estimate spending 10-15% more than the price listed online. It will feel better to be able to splurge on catering opening night versus going without props.

DO THE ADMIN: WATCH THE CLOCK AND ADJUST 

Seriously, do the admin. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. With eight weeks to put on a show, you want to spend as much of that time in rehearsals. 

Problem: actors can’t commit to your project if you don’t have performance dates and you can’t have dates without a location. The graphic shows the order in which things happened to me.

This ordering is not a hard rule. In fact, you will have to take leaps of faith. Keep adjusting your expectations for time, money, and quality until you find workable solutions.

8 Tips for Mounting a Play in 8 Weeks


HIRE THE DIAMONDS IN THE ROUGH

You probably don’t have the funds to produce both a fully-staged show and hire top-quality cast and crew. Still, artists should be compensated and paying audiences should get good bang for their buck. Compromise: hire talent that is less experienced, but ‘got dat fire’.  If you can’t afford the inexperienced, supplement low pay with real things (e.g., audition them first for future paid projects, recommend them to other industry contacts, or support their future work and side hustles.)

HAVE A BACKUP

Most of my accomplishments are digitally archived. I am religious about backing my work up. I save and organize current files on my computer. I have a special folder for emails I could delete, but choose to keep for at least one year. 
I also have two external hard drives. One I use for monthly archiving the other I backup every 3-6 months.

You’ll also need back up plans and people. You have to adapt and think creatively. Learn to do some of the technical aspects of your show in case a crew member is sick. Have the crew double as understudies.

USE YOUR IMAGINATION

You are a playwright. Your creative writing degree gives you license to operate big dreams and lofty imaginations. Be creative with your budget. Double casting. Craigslist. Thrift stores. Return bought items.

Laughter is infectious. Audiences can’t get infected if they’re sitting 3 seats away from the next person. Bad: reserve a 500-seat theater and have to go light on the props. Good: fill a 50-seat theater and risk having to turn away patrons. If all the theater spaces are booked, do like the Living Room Playmakers and find alternative locations.

DOCUMENT IT

“Hiatus” is the fourth phase of my creative cycle. This is the sad and rough time between the highs of seeing the final product and lows of searching for inspiration – and courage – to start a new project. In this hiatus period, all my accomplishments seem small. I worry that I won't top myself or have another half-decent idea. Depression. Jealousy. All around, not good times.

The fix: I read old diary entries and press releases, look at photos, read screenshots of Facebook comments and text messages.  Set a timer, revel in your past glory and respect past accomplishments, and then MOVE ON.

Also, having documentation of your work quantifies your resume. Showing always trumps telling.





I'm a creative with type-A tendencies who tried working in a call center but realized I'd rather help creatives get organized. I'm pimping out all my marketable skills to fund my art and ice cream habit.
Want more tips for being a creative professional? SubscribeFREE RESOURCESBuy me ice cream. Share.

Popular posts from this blog

'The Haven' using Web Series to Launch Chicago TV Pilot - Women in Film

The Haven written by Mia McCullough features Sage Lorinne Miskel as Tasha (daughter) and Alex Dauphin as Crystal (mother) What do you do when you have an original TV pilot that explores a world and characters different from traditional Hollywood scripts? You do like Mia McCullough and Elizabeth Laidlaw and create a web series! THE HAVEN  is a web series covering an extensive period in the lives of the clients and staff of a domestic violence center. The staff forms the main cast. The clients are secondary characters.  Web series is a great storytelling tool for exploring characters and worlds. Compared to a TV show, these short format made-for-the-web productions often require fewer resources to produce. These scripts, which are usually under 30 minutes/pages, allow screenwriters to tell stories by and about underrepresented communities. Best of all, the finished content is immediately available to that community — #RepresentationMatters.  Mia and co-producer Elizabet

Flirty thumb wrestling - Just Being Funny

On our fourth date, Roberto gifted me his Christian dating book. Apparently, there are five dating levels. He was ready for us to enter the second level. Each level came with instructions for physical boundaries.  Level 3 was where things would – nay, could – get exciting. Then we could have “face-to-face” contact. I was almost certain that meant kissing, but from the way things were going, this could very well just be us rubbing our cheeks together. Maybe he was into more alternative forms of intimacy and wanted to experiment with rubbing our foreheads together. Ey, every lock has a key! No judgment. At level 2, we had limited hand holding and flirty thumb fights. I was only allowed to touch exposed body parts. If he wore a cap sleeve t-shirt, I could only touch him all the way up to the hem of that sleeve. If he wore a long sleeve button down, I could only touch up to his wrist. His body is a wonderland with restrictive visiting hours. But I'm not here to bash lifestyle cho

How to Afford Hired Help When You’re Still A Struggling Artist? - Hey Onicia

In an interview with 2 and A Bottle , they asked how I afforded to hire an assistant for creative ventures. I am pro paying people for their work because artists die from exposure; ‘likes’ and retweets do not pay the bills. Here’s how I’m able to pay people even though I’m still in that struggling artist phase. Hey Onicia is a series where I tap into my type-A side and answer questions from my friends about this starving artist life. If you find this helpful, share with your twitter homies or thank me with ice cream . Want to chat or collaborate? Holla at me ! First off, major side eye to people who blow mad cash on taxi rides, Beyonce concerts, and fast fashion while begging for free labor. Seriously, offering me five bucks so I can buy a pint of ice cream for things I do to pay the bills is less insulting than demanding it for free. Save up and pay full rate I wish everyone could get their asking price. If you can afford it, pay it. You can’t bui