Skip to main content

True Stories and Faithful Friends - Onicia Updates - August 2018

Lead Image 2018

Aight, so what have I been up to? Oh you know, just the usual: slapping words together and creating dope art with cool people. Last month we filmed my episode of Pre-Existing. I'm so thankful that Lissette was there to direct. Lissette works well under pressure and she's was so amazing and reading my mood and redirecting my energy. Bruh, with friends like these.

I also said goodbye to a dear Chicago friend. This month's ENTIRE Fangirlin' section is dedicated the talented Ms. Candice Lola <3



Shout out my fabulous collaborators: David Audino (executive producer/cinematographer), Lissette Hall (producer/director/cheerleader), Sandy Lee (actor), Sonal Aggarwal (actor), Greg Callozzo (actor), Kyle Hendrix (production assistant), Ashley Connell (on-set producer), and Nick Torres (production assitant/cheerleader).

That's all I gotta say today. Got something I should see or someone I should collaborate with? Email me or shout at me on Twitter.

Upcoming Events

The Kates (Book Cellar) - August 25, 2018

Looking for stand-up comedian or storyteller with a Caribbean sense of humor? Book me! bookings@oniciamuller.com

Published Writings

Rebellious Living: 5 Ways to Reduce Food Waste (Rebellious Magazine)
The image of spoiled food tumbling into the trash is often conjured when thinking of food waste. But what makes items not consumable? A Vox video report showed that most date labels make no sense. Use your senses to test whether something is no bueno. 


True Story: The One Time I Disobeyed My Mom (Curly Nikki)
My older sister was visiting for the first time since leaving about three-ish years earlier. We were excited, we were grown-ish, and we were ready to have the best summer ever. I was eighteen; old enough to go clubbing, but not old enough to stay out without my mother’s permission.

JBF: A fair day’s wage for a fair day’s work (The Daily Herald)
On day three of grumbling amongst each other, I decided that we could be stronger together. “Before we officially start this job we should all band together and ask for raises like if we all this is not right and we all put pressure especially since we just finished they might increase our pay.” I channeled my inner Norma Rae.


Comedian Adrienne Brandyburg is Funny and Naturally Glam! (Curly Nikki)
Chicago actress and comedienne, Adrienne Brandyburg is part of the new generation of entertainers who embrace their natural curls while making boss moves. Adrienne co-hosts B.A.P.S Comedy, a monthly variety show celebrating and empowering women of color that will turn 2 years old this September.


The Salesman: Building the Pyramid (MLM Truth)
The time my marketing job turned out to be a wanna-be pyramid scheme. I know navigating the freelance/gig economy can be tough and sometimes we only want to focus on our direct deposits versus ensuring our clients are ethical. Let’s stand firm and say no to helping these predatory companies expand.


JBF: Fashion, darlin’! (The Daily Herald)
I am not a fashionista at all. If you ever see me in something trendy, it’s because a friend gifted it to me or a walked in a store and bought exactly what the mannequin was wearing. I try my best to wear the same thing when I perform because then I don’t have to stress about trying. 

Fangirlin'

Last month I said goodbye to Candice Lola, my dear Chicago friend. Although I had an entire year to prepare, it wasn't enough. Candice is #BlackGirlMagic and a (capital letter P) Phenomenal woman.  Candice is a talented writer, an inquisitive mind, and a generous soul. She's a self-starter, a wild one, a shameless blerd (black nerd). She's funny and smart. She's your slept on Woman Crush Wednesday! There are not words enough to express how much she means to me, a lonely immigrant in Chicago. I a blessed to know her and believe she's going to do amazing things in New York. This month's ENTIRE Fangirlin' section is dedicated the talented Ms Candace Lola <3





Do you make cool things? Let's collaborate


Previous Onicia Update
Previous Hey Onicia
Want to join my club of consensual stalkers? Subscribe!
Created on St. Maarten. Based in Chicago. Onicia Muller (@OniciaMuller) writes, says funny things, and enjoys hanging with creative minds. 
Support the arts by buying me ice cream or telling your Twitter homies.

Popular posts from this blog

'The Haven' using Web Series to Launch Chicago TV Pilot - Women in Film

The Haven written by Mia McCullough features Sage Lorinne Miskel as Tasha (daughter) and Alex Dauphin as Crystal (mother) What do you do when you have an original TV pilot that explores a world and characters different from traditional Hollywood scripts? You do like Mia McCullough and Elizabeth Laidlaw and create a web series! THE HAVEN  is a web series covering an extensive period in the lives of the clients and staff of a domestic violence center. The staff forms the main cast. The clients are secondary characters.  Web series is a great storytelling tool for exploring characters and worlds. Compared to a TV show, these short format made-for-the-web productions often require fewer resources to produce. These scripts, which are usually under 30 minutes/pages, allow screenwriters to tell stories by and about underrepresented communities. Best of all, the finished content is immediately available to that community — #RepresentationMatters.  Mia and co-producer Elizabet

Flirty thumb wrestling - Just Being Funny

On our fourth date, Roberto gifted me his Christian dating book. Apparently, there are five dating levels. He was ready for us to enter the second level. Each level came with instructions for physical boundaries.  Level 3 was where things would – nay, could – get exciting. Then we could have “face-to-face” contact. I was almost certain that meant kissing, but from the way things were going, this could very well just be us rubbing our cheeks together. Maybe he was into more alternative forms of intimacy and wanted to experiment with rubbing our foreheads together. Ey, every lock has a key! No judgment. At level 2, we had limited hand holding and flirty thumb fights. I was only allowed to touch exposed body parts. If he wore a cap sleeve t-shirt, I could only touch him all the way up to the hem of that sleeve. If he wore a long sleeve button down, I could only touch up to his wrist. His body is a wonderland with restrictive visiting hours. But I'm not here to bash lifestyle cho

How to Afford Hired Help When You’re Still A Struggling Artist? - Hey Onicia

In an interview with 2 and A Bottle , they asked how I afforded to hire an assistant for creative ventures. I am pro paying people for their work because artists die from exposure; ‘likes’ and retweets do not pay the bills. Here’s how I’m able to pay people even though I’m still in that struggling artist phase. Hey Onicia is a series where I tap into my type-A side and answer questions from my friends about this starving artist life. If you find this helpful, share with your twitter homies or thank me with ice cream . Want to chat or collaborate? Holla at me ! First off, major side eye to people who blow mad cash on taxi rides, Beyonce concerts, and fast fashion while begging for free labor. Seriously, offering me five bucks so I can buy a pint of ice cream for things I do to pay the bills is less insulting than demanding it for free. Save up and pay full rate I wish everyone could get their asking price. If you can afford it, pay it. You can’t bui